Biden officials release more than 1,000 JFK assassination files

Former confidential documents relating to the assassination of President John F. Kennedy were originally scheduled to be released earlier this year.

Biden%20officials%20release%20more%20than%201%2C000%20JFK%20assassination%20files
source: https://ibb.co/RbGN6rj

On Wednesday, Biden officials released more than 1,000 XNUMX documents previously linked to the 1963 assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

The 1,491 documents included documents from the CIA, the FBI, the State Department and other government agencies. Among them is a report that Kennedy assassin Lee Harvey Oswald visited Cuban and USSR ambassadors in Mexico to seek a visa months before Kennedy's assassination. According to a CIA document, another version released earlier, one of the people Oswald spoke to was a consul of the Soviet ambassador, who was affiliated with the KGB "assassination department." The documents stated that they referred to Oswald's efforts to obtain a visa for the Soviet Union.

Some of the tips the investigators chased did not end up coming out.

Among the guidelines revealed in the files is a report that Australians received a tip in 1962 from a man who claimed to be the driver of a Soviet ambassador to a plot to assassinate Kennedy. Officials tried to confirm parts of the man's case and concluded he was a crank. The documents show that the US wanted to disclose details about the tip decades ago but was asked not to do so by the Australian government.

The documents were scheduled to be released earlier this year, but President Joe Biden set a deadline for National Archives to produce the documents in October after a librarian said their work had been curtailed by the epidemic.

From the archives: JFK was killed 58 years ago

Under the 1992 law promoted by Oliver Stone's film "JFK," National Archives was due to release all the remaining separate records in October 2017.

The National Archives released a large number of documents that month, but withheld the request of the then President Donald Trump. In the memorandum, Trump said "departments and top agencies have suggested to me that certain information should continue to be postponed due to national security, law and foreign affairs."

Wednesday's release has been the largest number of separate documents since then, with the final set of documents expected to be released on December 15 next year. In his October mandate, Biden said all information should be released "unless reorganization is necessary to prevent serious damage to military security, intelligence services, law, or the conduct of foreign relations that are so strong that it exceeds. Public interest in disclosure."