The Santa Clara County coroner's office has released its report based on the findings of the examination of the gunman involved in the deadly Gilroy California shooting. Although law enforcement officers claim to have fired the shot that proved fatal, the coroner has contradicted their reports, indicating that the shooter did indeed killed himself.
The assailant, 19-year-old Santino William Legan, shot and fatally wounded three people, two of whom were children, at the Gilroy Garlic Festival last weekend. There were thirteen others reportedly injured as well, leaving law enforcement officials baffled as to the young man's motive.
A senior office specialist, Nicole Lopez, of the Santa Clara County Medical Examiner-Coroner's Office, relayed on Friday to the Associated Press that Legan's cause of death had been ruled a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
In a previous statement, Gilroy Police Chief Scot Smithee had said that Legan had been by three law enforcement officers when they arrived on the scene less than a minute after the incident began. Smithee, at that time, had gone on to declare the officers "heroes" as their quick response of neutralizing the shooter prevented a larger casualty count.
Earlier this week, authorities made an additional arrest of a suspect that was allegedly making online threats that appeared to be referencing the Gilroy Garlic Festival shooting. Also a Gilroy resident, 40-year-old Jose Pinon took to Facebook on Wednesday, and stated: "My goal is to kill 500, not three."
Gilroy police stated that no weapons were found or seized from Pinon's home, and officials said they do not believe he was ever planning to follow through on his words in the form of an attack.
Since the initial shooting, there was even a 22-year-old who posted on Facebook that he was a participant in the festival shooting. SWAT swarmed on the young man's home.
As it turned out, the individual in question was actually arrested on unrelated warrants. He was not arrested or charge for any connection to the festival shootings, nor his Facebook claim, as Deras explained: "authorities did not believe he had any 'criminal intent.'"
For all intent and purposes, Gilroy law enforcement officials have stated that of now, there is no other evidence that may indicate that there was another shooter or another individual involved in the incident. However, the investigation is ongoing, nonetheless.
So, what's the verdict—you decide.
Are these types of shootings just the tip of the iceberg?