Facebook announced on Friday a two-year ban on former President Donald Trump in parts of it, including Instagram, until at least January 2023.
Facebook's vice-president of international affairs, Nick Clegg, said Trump's actions on social media were "a serious violation of our laws that deserve the maximum fine available under new enforcement agreements."
The decision came after the Oversight Board representing Facebook last month said the social media giant was justified in removing Trump's access to its shares the day after the January 6 attack on the Capitol. Facebook was then instructed to review the suspension.
The two-year extension of Trump's suspension has been effective since the first ban on January 7.
The former president called the ban "insulting" in a statement Friday. "They should not be allowed to escape this and shut up, and in the end, we will win. Our country will not continue to oppress!" he said in a statement.
Clegg's proclamation produced a picture that elaborated on "proposed numbers of public figures in times of civil and ongoing violence." Depending on the nature of the content violation, these figures can be banned anywhere from one month to two years and "violation after the first limits is subject to higher penalties, up to and including permanent removal."
Clegg has imposed a ban on Trump's role in the Capitol riots, when a crowd of his supporters stormed the building in an attempt to disrupt the counting of election votes confirming President Joe Biden's victory.
Trump's explosion of July 4 caused more than $ 42,000 damage, records show
"In establishing a two-year sentence for serious offenses, we considered the need to be long enough to allow for a safe period after incitement, that it is important enough to be an obstacle for Mr. Trump and others in committing such serious offenses in the future, and equals the potential for the violation itself,"
At the end of the two-year term, Facebook will consult with experts on whether the social security risk has decreased, said Clegg, adding that there will be a "strong set of increasingly increasing penalties for Mr. Trump committing further crimes in the future" including permanent removal.
Trump relied on social media during his presidency to avoid the media and to speak directly to his supporters, especially his Twitter account, which has also been suspended. The former president has since issued statements about his Save American political committee. He also tried to launch a blog, but that was only temporary.
White House press secretary Jen Psaki said while it was up to Facebook to make that decision, she doubted that much would change in Trump's conduct in the next two years.
"We have learned a lot from President Trump, the former president, a few years ago about his conduct and how he uses these platforms," said Phaki. "It looks very unlikely that the zebra will change its lashes in the next two years."