Elections Minister Mathias Pierre warned that those who assassinated President Jovenel Moise could attack the airport, gas reserves, or the port.
Haiti called on the United States and the UN to send troops to protect its ports, airport, and other strategic sites after the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, a Haitian government minister said on Friday.
Two days after Moise was brutally murdered in an armed attack on his residence, "we think that the mercenaries [accused of the crime] could destroy some infrastructure to create chaos in the country," the minister of elections, Mathias Pierre.
"During a conversation with the Secretary of State of the United States and the UN, we made this request," he added.
The State Department and the Pentagon confirmed having received a request for "security and investigation assistance." They said they were in contact with Port-au-Prince but did not specify whether military troops would be deployed.
A UN diplomatic source said they received the request but that a Security Council resolution is needed to send a contingent.
Washington has already said it will send the FBI and other agents to Haiti as soon as possible. The assassination left a power vacuum in the troubled and impoverished Caribbean nation.
Meanwhile, Haiti is trying to determine who ordered the attack allegedly carried out by an armed squad of 28 people: 26 Colombians and two Americans of Haitian origin.
Of these, 15 Colombians and two Americans were arrested. In comparison, three Colombians were killed by police, and eight others remain at large, Haitian police said.
There is some discrepancy in the numbers with the information received from other government sources.
Senior Colombian military and police officials have reported that at least 17 former Colombian military personnel were allegedly involved in the killings.
After talks with Haitian Prime Minister Claude Joseph, Colombian President Ivan Duque said his country would offer all cooperation, including an intelligence mission in Haiti, to find the material and intellectual authors of the assassination.
For its part, Taipei said 11 of the suspects had been detained at the Taiwanese embassy complex in Port-au-Prince.
The Haitian capital, paralyzed for several days, gradually resumed its activities on Friday. A greater number of people on the streets and public transport gradually reactivated its service, albeit under a cloak of apprehension.
People rushed to stock up on necessities at supermarkets and queue at gas stations to buy propane they use for cooking in anticipation of more days of instability.
"I don't know what will happen in the country tomorrow or the day after tomorrow, so I'm preparing for the bad days to come," Marjorie, a Port-au-Prince resident, told AFP.
The capital's airport, closed after the attack, appeared to have reopened this Friday, according to information from Flightradar.
In this country of 11 million inhabitants, more than half of whom are under the age of 20, everyone is wondering how a fatal attack on the head of state could have happened.
These are foreigners who came to the country to commit this crime. We Haitians are dismayed, "a resident of the capital told AFP. "We need to know who is behind this, their names, their background so that justice can do its job."
Bedford-Claude, Port-au-Prince's chief prosecutor, announced on Thursday that several senior police officers, directly responsible for the security of the Haitian President, were on the line and had been summoned to court. ۔
Where would you be if you were responsible for the President's security? What did you do to avoid this fate for the President? Bedford Claude inquired.
Others even maintain the potential impact of these police officers, which adds to the confusion.
Several senior police officers, directly responsible for the Haitian
His security officers killed Moise. It was not the Colombians who murdered him. The Haitian state hired them," former Senator Steven Benoit said on the radio on Friday.
The assassination further destabilizes America's poorest country, ravaged by insecurity, which now lacks a president and an active parliament, as two men claim to be in command and vie for prime minister.
One of Moise's last political gestures was to appoint Ariel Henry as the new prime minister on Monday, replacing Claude Joseph.
Henry had not yet registered office at the moment of the murder.
Shortly after the attack, the acting Prime Minister Joseph declared a state of siege for fifteen days, granting the Executive greater powers.
While the opposition accuses Joseph of seizing power, the UN envoy to Haiti, Helen La Lime, is considered legitimate authority since Henry has not been sworn in.