The president had already expressed his condolences on Saturday after discovering possible remains of the ship. It is believed that an electrical failure could have prevented the boat from performing emergency procedures to return to the surface.
Indonesian submarine disappeared on Wednesday was found broken into pieces at the bottom of the sea off the coast of Bali, said Sunday the army, and confirmed that the 53 crew members died.
The KRI Nanggala 402, which was broken into three pieces, said Navy General Staff Yudo Margono. All 53 crew members have died, Hadi Tjahjanto, the Indonesian army chief, told reporters.
Sadly, as the head of Indonesia's armed forces, the military fell while fulfilling its responsibility in the northern bid. On behalf of all the soldiers and the Armed Forces families, I extend my heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims. May God grant them peace, "Army Chief Hadi Tjahjanto said at a press conference.
Margano declared that the submarine RI Regal, coming from Singapore to help in the research, split the KRI-Nangla 402 into three at a depth of about 838 meters and stressed that the accident was a human error.
As he explained, the rear and front of the submarine came in, and the center remained intact, but some cracks could be seen.
Rescue teams have not yet been able to locate the bodies of the crew, which will be transported to the city of Surabaya on the island of Java.
The Indonesian President Joko Widodo expressed condolences hours ago to families of the 53 sailors trapped in the submarine 'KRI Nanggala 402' sunk during military maneuvers in Bali and whose rescue was presumed impossible.
This event is a shock to all of us. We have sent our honest sympathies for this tragedy, in particular for the seafarers, "said the president in a message posted on YouTube.
Although it is already located, the depth to which it is located could be reached by the Indonesian Navy with its cargo, making it difficult to recover the sinking ship, which contains the bodies of perishing soldiers. May remain
Admiral Margano told a news conference in Bali that "if there is an explosion, it will be broken. It happened while descending. An explosion was heard in Sonar.
The Navy had previously stated that it believed the submarine sank to a depth of between 600 and 700 meters (2,000 and 2,300 feet), exceeding its resistance capacity of 200 meters (655 feet). At that point, the water pressure would be greater than the helmet could withstand.
We've found out what we know and believe it's all from the Marines, and we've lost the submarine and got out of the submarine stage," Margono told a news conference.
The Navy perceived that a power failure could prevent the submarine from performing emergency plans that would allow it to return to the surface.
Over the past two days, rescue workers have been using parts of a torpedo liner, a container of grease used in the periscope, remnants of prayer kits, and a broken piece of cold tube that has been reconditioned in a submarine in South Korea, Margono said.
The families of the submarine sailors hoped that survivors would be present. Indonesian President Joko Widodo has ordered that every effort be made to find the submarine. He also asked for prayers for the safe return of Indonesian staff.
The German-made, diesel-powered KRI Nanggala 402 has been serving in Indonesia since 1981. The Indonesian Defense Ministry said the crew consisted of 49 crew members, three gunners, and the ship's commander.
Indonesia, the world's largest peninsula country with more than 17,000 islands, has faced growing challenges in its maritime claims in recent years, with several incidents involving Chinese ships near Natuna Island.