One month after the Surfide tragedy: Firefighters announced the completion of work at the crash site.


Search teams spent weeks dealing with the wreckage of the wreckage, which was an unstable part of the building, which contained a burning building, an active fire, a sweltering heat wave and thunderstorms with Florida. It rained together.

A month has passed since the south tower of Champlain Towers in Miami collapsed, killing 97 people, one missing, and millions of dollars in material losses.

Today, the shocking image of the pile of rubble from the ruined building, which went worldwide, is no more. In its place was a void above the famous Collins Avenue. The same void is perceived when explaining why the structure collapsed at dawn on June 24.

A month after the tragedy, firefighters declared the end of their search for bodies at the collapse site. They officially ended the days of hard work to remove layers of dangerous debris that once held several stories high.

The site was mainly swept up, and the debris moved to a Miami warehouse. Even ifForensic scientists are still working, even going through the trash in the warehouse, no more bodies can be found where the building once stood.

Except for the first hours after the collapse, the survivors never emerged. Instead, search teams spent weeks battling the dangers of the debris, including an unstable part of the building that was reeling, a reoccurring fire, sweltering summer heat, and Florida thunderstorms.

Before finally announcing the mission in full, they went through more than 14,000 tons of broken concrete and rebar, which often moved from rock to rock.

The Miami-Dade Fire Urban Search and Rescue team left the site on Friday in a convoy of fire trucks and other vehicles, driving slowly towards their headquarters for a press conference announcing that the search was officially over.

At a ceremony, Fire Chief Alan Cominsky greeted team members who worked 12-hour shifts while camping at the scene.

"It is devastating. It's a difficult situation across the board," Cominsky said. "I couldn't be more proud of the men and women who represent the Miami-Dade Fire Department."

Officials have declined to say whether they have an additional collection of human remains that are struggling to identify a pathologist or whether the final search for the remains has been ongoing since its demise.


If found, Estelle Hedaya put the death toll at 98.

He was a 54-year-old outsider who loved to travel and talk to strangers.

His younger brother, Ikey, has given DNA samples and visited the site twice to see the search efforts for himself.

"When we enter the second month alone without other families, we feel helpless," he told the AP on Friday.

The dead included members of a large conservative Jewish community in the area, the sister of Paraguay's first lady, her family, and her grandmother, and a local shopkeeper, his wife and their two young daughters.

The collapse fueled a race to inspect other older residential towers in and around Florida. It has raised broader questions about the country's regulations for protecting condo associations and buildings.

Shortly after the disaster, it became clear that the warnings about Champlain Towers South, which opened in 1981, had gone unheeded. A 2018 engineering report detailed cracks in the underground parking lot and other problems, as well as concrete support beams and other problems that would cost about $ 10 million to fix.

Repairs were not made, and the estimate increased to $ 15 million this year. The building's 136-unit owners and their condo board of directors fought over the cost, especially after an inspector from the city of Surfside told them the building was safe.

A total collapse was almost impossible to imagine. As many officials said in the early days of the catastrophe, buildings of that size do not simply collapse in the United States unless it is a terrorist attack. Even storms, hurricanes, and earthquakes rarely bring them down.

The final destination of this property remains to be determined where the building once stood. The judge, who has presided over several lawsuits filed since the judge's dismissal, wants the property to be sold at market prices, which could raise 100 million or more. Some condo owners want to rebuild, and others say a memorial should be built to remember those killed.

In the weeks leading up to its demolition, a 28-story courthouse was built in Miami in 1928. Two apartment buildings were closed after inspectors discovered structural problems. They will remain closed until repaired.

The first call to 911 came at about 1:20 a.m. when Champlain residents said parking was over. A woman standing on her balcony called her husband, who was away from business, and told him that the pool had fallen into the garage.

Then, all of a sudden, part of the L-shaped building collapsed. Eight seconds later, another area followed, leaving 35 people alive in the standing area. In the first hours, a teenage girl was rescued, and firefighters believed others could be found alive. He was optimistic about the noise coming from inside the pile that these survivors might be tapping. Still, hesitantly, there were sounds coming from the wreckage.

The standing part of the building posed another serious threat, as it increased to a dangerous level for the workers. On July 4, authorities ordered its demolition.

In the end, the teams found no evidence that anyone found dead had survived the initial fall, Cominsky said.