The collapse in Miami: there are already 22 dead. The authorities confirmed that they would demolish the rest of the building.
Rescuers found four bodies on Friday. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava has signed an emergency to demolish the remaining portion of the building once engineers have given their go-ahead.
The bodies of four other people were found Friday in the rubble of the collapsed condo in South Florida, bringing the number of confirmed deaths to 22, Miami-Dade County Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said.
The mayor has also signed an emergency to demolish the remaining part of the building once the engineers have given their go-ahead. He said the order is now signed, so the demolition can move forward quickly once a date is set.
"Search, and rescue remains our top priority. I want to be very clear about it. We are still evaluating all possible impacts and determining the best schedule to begin the demolition," said Levine Cava.
The search for a survivor and fatalities among the rubble continues this Friday for the ninth consecutive day amid the anguish of the families.
Authorities announced this morning that rescuers had found the body of a 7-year-old girl, the daughter of a Miami city firefighter, in the debris of the partially collapsed building on Thursday night.
According to the television channel Local 10, when the girl's body was discovered, other rescuers lowered it from the mountain of rubble. The father of the deceased covered it with his jacket and placed a small United States flag on it.
"Our hearts and prayers go out to the families affected by this horrible tragedy," said Miami Fire Chief Joseph Zahralban, before confirming in a statement that "a member of our family from the Miami Fire Department lost his daughter. 7 years in the crash".
On Thursday afternoon, the search for victims resumed after 15 hours of interruption for fear of possible collapses in the remaining part of this 40-year-old building and 136 apartments, of which 55 collapsed.
Levine Cava said that engineers are evaluating the potential impact of the demolition of the part of the building still standing, but doing so may "take weeks" and stressed that rescuers are willing to start expanding the search area for possible victims.
Adding to the instability of the building is the possible arrival of Hurricane Elsa in South Florida early next week.
Levine Cava urged Miami-Dade residents to plan for a possible impact, as they are doing for the collapse site.
For his part, the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis, said in a press conference that he ordered the Florida Department of Emergency Management to accelerate the planning of a possible state of emergency, given the possibility that parts of the south of the state have to withstand tropical-storm-force winds Sunday night.
The exhausted rescue teams, working 12-hour shifts, will continue the tough and risky search for people under the rubble, provided certain safety conditions for their lives are met.
Rescuers, working around the clock, are using heavy machinery and technology equipment, sniffer dogs, and an underground sonar system to detect victims under the huge concrete slabs stacked on top of each other.
Miami-Dade Deputy Fire Chief Raide Jadallah said search and rescue teams had not heard a human voice or sound in the rubble since the morning of the collapse on June 24.
That day, after the partial collapse of the apartment building, the rescuers heard the cries of a woman calling for help under the rubble and tried to comfort her and reach her. Still, it was impossible, and soon after, they stopped hearing her. That has been the first, and last voice rescuers have heard so far.
The president of the United States, Joe Biden, met this Thursday in Miami-Dade with the families affected by the collapse of the building, as well as with authorities and rescuers, and deposited a bouquet with his wife, Jill Biden, in the memorial "Wall of Hope" dedicated to the disappeared, where they prayed.