The Pentagon confirmed a single suicide bomber in the Kabul bombing that left more than 170 dead.


Hank Taylor, deputy director-general of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, noted that the blast occurred at the Abbey Gate, where hundreds of Afghan and US troops had gathered: No other bomb had exploded at or near the Baron Hotel.

The Pentagon said on Friday that there was a single explosion outside the Kabul airport, and not two as reported Thursday, after the attack that claimed the lives of more than 170 people, including 13 US soldiers.

The deputy director of Logistics for the US General Staff, General Hank Taylor, said at a press conference that he finally did not believe there would be a second explosion on Thursday "in or near" the Hotel Baron, near the airport.

"Therefore, there was only one suicide bomber," Said Taylor, adding that they are still not sure how this misinformation was made but that it possibly occurred amid" confusion during dynamic events. "

On Thursday, General Kenneth McKenzie, head of the US Central Command (CENTCOM), reported shortly after the attack that two suicide bombers from the Islamic State (ISIS) terrorist group had detonated two explosive vests. Are

According to McKenzie, one blast occurred near one of the entrances to Kabul Airport, the so-called Abbey Gate, and the other near the Baron Hotel. McKenzie noted that ISIS members carried out an armed attack in the area after the shootings.

The ISIS branch in Afghanistan has claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack.

According to an official Afghan source, at least 170 people were killed and another 200 wounded in the attack on Thursday.

Joe Biden said the US would respond "with force" to the attack

US President Joe Biden vowed Thursday to "go after "the perpetrators of the suicide bombings in Kabul. For those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wants to harm America, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget "We will hunt them down and pay them," he said.

He said the United States would respond with force and accuracy after the terrorist group ISIS claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.

In a solemn address to the nation from the White House, Biden called the downed US military "heroes" and said the Kabul evacuation mission would continue until next Tuesday when the final withdrawal of US military troops is expected.

"Terrorists will not deter us. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation", assured the Democratic president.

Biden also reconfirmed that he will not move that August 31 deadline to complete the exit from Afghanistan after two decades of war. "Terrorists will not deter us. We will not allow them to stop our mission. "We will continue to evacuate," Biden said in a televised address.