The stand at the Honolulu hotel is coming to an end after the death of an armed man

The man was evicted from a room at the Khalala Hotel & Resort in Honolulu and shot at the door, officials said.


A confrontation between Honolulu police and an armed man who fired a shot at the door of his room in a luxury home ended when a man was found dead by suicide, local media reported on Sunday.

A SWAT team entered the fourth-floor room at The Kahala Hotel & Resort around 3.30am on Sunday and found the man dead, local television stations and a newspaper, anonymous police officials reported. All the reported police officers did not release further details, including the man's name.

Messages sent to spokespersons for the Honolulu Police Department and the Honolulu mayoral office seeking confirmation and further details were not returned on Sunday to The Associated Press.

Gunfire erupted around 6pm, according to police. Security guards at the hotel went up to the room where the man was and knocked on the door. He fired several shots at the door, police said.

No one was injured outside the door, Hon. Capt. Brian Lynch of Honolulu police told reporters. Luxury accommodation states in a statement that hotel security and law enforcement have cleared the area around the room.

"Everyone counts," Lynch said.

Authorities have not yet released details of the events that led to the standoff. Police believe the man is in the military.

Photos and videos shared by local media show about 100 people locked in a hotel soccer room. Dismissed guests were given food, blankets and pillows. Hours after the quarrel started, the guests who had taken refuge there were allowed to leave.

Minnesota police shot dead Daunte Wright and called off the protest

Photos from outside the island show the presence of major police officers, including the SWAT group.

Khalala resident Yevgeniy Lendel told Hawaii News Now that he was walking in the area when police rushed to the scene.

"Police have told everyone to flee and take refuge," he told a TV station. "We fled to the hotel."

The altercation took place during what seemed to be a peaceful evening at the resort. Visitors and locals ate and ate along the beach.

Honolulu resident Rex Jakobovits said he was wandering the beach when police told him to enter the hotel's soccer room. He told Hawaii News Now that when he walked in, people were shocked. Some were weeping.

However, Jakobovits said the situation eventually deteriorated after police were deployed outside the doors.