Washington considers the war practices from Pyongyang as a provocation and trusts that Kim Jong-un will heed the call.
On Sunday, the United States urged North Korea to halt its "counterproductive" missile tests and expressed confidence that Pyongyang would respond positively to its calls for dialogue.
The call comes after North Korea launched a ballistic missile from a submarine on Tuesday, prompting the call for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council.
AFTER MEETING WITH THE JAPANESE REPRESENTATIVE IN WASHINGTON, the US special envoy to North Korea, Sung Kim, met with his southern counterpart, Noh Kyu-duk.
He called Tuesday's launch a "provocation" and urged Pyongyang to halt the "worrying and counterproductive" missile tests.
"We hope that the DPRK will respond positively to our call," Kim told reporters, using the acronym for North Korea's official name.
Tuesday's launch was the latest in a series of weapons tests by the communist country, including a long-range cruise missile, a train-launched weapon, and a suspected hypersonic warhead.
The missile was launched around 10:17 a.m. local time from the sea in the vicinity of Sinpo, said the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) of South Korea, where North Korea maintains submarines and equipment to test the firing of SLBM.
As in most previous tests, it was not immediately clear whether the missile was fired from a submarine or a submersible test vessel.
Weeks ago, North Korean ruler Kim Jong-un blamed the United States for the sanctions against his country. They assured them that his war program had no hostile intentions.
Kim met three times with former US President Donald Trump, who failed to agree to end the North's nuclear program.
Current President Joe Biden promised to seek a diplomatic solution to the conflict with North Korea.
Last week, Kim Jong-un oversaw powerful missiles designed to launch nuclear strikes on the continental United States during a military display and vowed to build an "invincible" army to deal with what he called persistent hostility from the United States. Earlier, Kim rejected the US offers to resume talks without preconditions as a "cunning" attempt to conceal his hostile policy toward the North.
The US Indo-Pacific Command said North Korea's latest launch does not pose an immediate threat to personnel, US territory, or its allies.