Antony Blinken has appealed to WHO leaders to take "appropriate measures" not to exclude "once again the vital participation of Taiwanese in the meeting at the end of May.
The US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken, has asked this Friday to restore "the appropriate place" of Taiwan in the World Health Assembly (WHA), from which it is "excluded" by the "objections" registered by the regime of China.
Blinken has called on WHO leaders to take appropriate steps not to exclude Taiwan's significant participation in the Assembly, which will celebrate its next edition on May 24 with a virtual assembly.
He said there was no justification for Taiwan's permanent exclusion from the forum and called on the United States to invite Taiwan to join the WHO as an observer. , As he has done in previous years before the objections. "Registered by the Chinese government," the secretary explained. The challenges of global health and global health security "do not respect borders or recognize political disputes," he asserted, emphasizing that Taiwan offers "valuable contributions and lessons learned from its approach to these issues."
In addition, he stressed that the WHO and the leadership of all responsible countries must recognize that the WHO is only about endangering the health of the 24 million people and the health of the world.
Taiwan is a reliable partner, a vibrant democracy, and a force for good in the world, and its involvement with the WHA is our collective commitment to controlling epidemics and preventing future health crises," Blinken said. It would be detrimental to international efforts.
Meanwhile, Blinken on Friday called on China to release four Hong Kong workers imprisoned for participating in surveillance in memory of the victims of the 1989 Tiananmen massacre.
Blinken said on his Twitter account that the United States defends the people of Hong Kong and rejects the punishment meted out to workers attending an event.
He added that all those who have been imprisoned "in the non-violent exercise of their freedoms must be released immediately ." The activists in question are Joshua Wong, Lester Shum, Tiffany Yuen, and Janelle Leung, who was jailed after pleading guilty to meeting unauthorized on June 4, 2020.
The four convicts had been sentenced on April 30, but the announcement of their sentence was issued on Thursday.
For the past three decades, the Tiananmen massacre has been remembered in Hong Kong every year with large-scale surveillance. However, in 2020 the event was banned due to the corona virus epidemic.
However, thousands of people refused the ban. They gathered in Victoria Park to commemorate the tragedy as they do every year. Joshua Wong, an influential activist in the area, has already been sentenced to 17 and a half months in prison during the 2019 protests.
After the vigil, his sentence was extended for another ten months, which he will have to serve once his first sentence is over. Wong, Shum, and Yuen have also been sentenced under the national security law, which opponents say seeks to silence dissenting voices.