They released the names of three other victims of the crash in Miami, and eleven victims have already been identified.
The number of disappeared now stands at 150, while those found alive are 136. Rescuers are still looking to find survivors or remains of the collapse victims and indications of the possible causes of what happened.
The escapists who are working around the clock for the sixth day at the site of the partial collapse of the 12-story building in Surfside (Miami-Dade) announced on Monday the discovery of the bodies of two new victims, with which there are already eleven deceased, and the identification of three other people killed in the incident.
Miami-Dade Mayor Daniela Leon Cava said the number of missing people is now 150, while the number of people found alive is 136. They promised to go "to the bottom" in the investigation to determine the causes of this tragedy that has touched individuals and families from various countries.
Miami-Dade police also released the names of three other victims who were identified. They are Marcus Jospeh Guara , 52, Frank Kleiman , 55, and Michael David Altman , 50.
Guara's daughters, Lucía, 11, and Emma, 4, and Marcus's wife, Ana, 52, remain missing.
Ana Ortiz, 46, and Luis Bermúdez, 26, Kleiman's wife and stepson, were identified yesterday. His brother, Jay Kleiman, and his mother, Nancy Kleiman, remain missing.
Most of the fatalities identified so far were of Hispanic origins, like many rescuers, including teams from other areas of the US and from countries such as Mexico and Israel.
Among those who died are Antonio and Gladys Lozano, a married couple of Cuban origin, aged 83 and 79, who, according to their relatives, feared being separated by death and would have been married for 59 years in July.
Leon Oliwkowicz, 80, of Venezuelans, and Christina Beatriz Elvira, 74, have been married for several years.
The other victim identified is Manuel LaFont, a 54-year-old isolated man from Houston, Texas, who loved to play basketball with his son in a nearby park.
The first victim identified was 54-year-old American Stacie Dawn Fang, whose 15-year-old son, Jonah Handler, was rescued alive from the remains of the building on the same day of the fall and is recuperating from his injuries at a hospital.
Rescue work continues
Ray Jadallah, deputy chief of the Miami-Dade Fire Department, indicated that the rescuers would change their positions on the mountain of rubble on Monday so that heavy machinery lifts a large plate of reinforced concrete in an area where several bodies have been found during these days.
For reasons not yet determined, the northeast wing of the Champlain Towers building, opened in 1981 and with a total of 136 apartments, collapsed in seconds at 1:30 in the morning (6:30 GMT) on Thursday, June 24, when its inhabitants slept.
Fifty-five apartments were turned into a pile of rubble where today more than 240 people worked in different jobs but with one priority: finding survivors, according to Surfside Mayor Charles Burkett.
Burkett said Monday that although five days had passed since the collapse, it is still possible to find people alive, as has been shown in earthquakes and other similar catastrophes. However, hope diminishes with the passing of the hours.
The priority remains focused on finding survivors or remains of victims of the collapse. Still, indications of the possible causes of what happened are also being sought.
Surfside's mayor has tasked a team of engineers, led by veteran Allyn Kilshemer, with the task of determining how the entire northeast wing of the 12-story, 40-year-old building was able to collapse from top to bottom in a matter of seconds.
Kilsheimer of KCE Structural Engineers said that there is no visible evidence of a major structural failure after visiting the site in a statement collected by the press.
More documents on building problems
In addition, the Surfside mayor's office published this Monday a new batch of documents that are in its records about the damaged building, which show, like others published before, the structural and other problems it had.
Among them are some from 2019. The Champlain Towers homeowners association expressed their concern to the municipality about the effects that a large building could have on the structure.
A year earlier, a report from an engineering firm had indicated that there was "significant" structural damage to the building, largely because a waterproofing sheet in the pool area had been misplaced, which prevented the water from draining properly and recommended making repairs.
The Miami Herald newspaper published information on Monday in which it is stated that a month after that report, the official then in charge of these issues at the Mayor's Office,
The building, which he identifies as Ross Prieto, told Champlain Towers residents that the building is in "excellent condition."
The Miami Herald contacted Prieto and said he did not remember what he said in a meeting with the condominium board, as recorded in one minute that the newspaper had access.
The competent authorities are already investigating the causes of the collapse. Still, it is taken for granted that it will be a long and complex investigation. Unfortunately, the answers will not arrive as soon as the survivors and the victims' families would like.
More demands on the horizon
The first lawsuit against the Champlain Towers Association was filed the same day of the collapse by a law firm for "failing to secure and safeguard lives and property."
The owner of an apartment in Champlain Towers, Manuel Drezner, and "others in the same situation" can join the lawsuit once filed claim an initial figure of $ 5 million in damages.
This Monday, two law firms, Morgan & Morgan and Saltz, Mongeluzzi & Bendesky, specializing in lawsuits for falling buildings, reported investigating and exploring possible legal actions regarding the collapse of the building.
"We are actively investigating what caused the building to collapse if there were warning signs beforehand that were missed or ignored, and if the system of building codes and regulations, which aims to prevent these types of disasters from occurring, failed." said lawyer René Rocha.