They set fire to the memorial of the victims of the Pulse massacre in the USA.


They set fire to the memorial of the victims of the Pulse massacre in the USA.

Five years after the tragedy of the Pulse nightclub in Orlando, where 49 people died, the police are looking for the person responsible for setting fire to part of the monument in memory of the victims.

Police in Orlando, in central Florida, is searching for a man in a wheelchair who intentionally started a fire that destroyed part of the memorial to the deceased at the Pulse nightclub.

The onePULSE Foundation, dedicated to honoring the lives of the 49 killed in the Pulse massacre and maintaining the monument in honor of the victims, confirmed a surveillance video showing a man in a wheelchair approaching the monument and deliberately setting one side on fire. The fire spread rapidly, consuming part of the memorial until the flames were extinguished by themselves.

"The posters of three of our angels were consumed, as well as other objects in the affected area," said the foundation through a statement. Orlando city authorities confirmed that the investigation is being carried out by the fire department assisted by the police.

The memorial has become one of the iconic places in the city of Orlando. In the center of the town is this monument that recalls one of the worst tragedies in the city and has become a meeting point for many locals.

Although the man who started the fire is unknown, his intentions cannot be known, it is inevitable to think of a hate crime.

Pulse was a trendy nightclub for the gay community in central Florida. On June 12, 2016, Omar Mateen opened fire inside the nightclub, killing 49 people, wounding 53 others, and dying in a clash with the police.

The attack is the second-highest fatality shooting in United States history, behind only the Las Vegas bombing in 2017 that killed 59 people.

The massacre was long. Around 2 in the morning, the first shots were heard in the disco. After less than 10 minutes, the owners alerted social networks that something terrible was happening and asked everyone to leave the place. Minutes later, the police arrived, and negotiations began.

Mateen was heavily armed. He carried with him a SIG Sauer MCX semi-automatic rifle, a 9mm Glock 17 pistol. He claimed to have an explosive - which was later confirmed not to have.

By 5 a.m., the elite police team, SWAT, entered the nightclub, and a heavy shooting began. They managed to free 30 hostages, a police officer was shot, and the attacker ended up dead.

During the attack, Mateen swore allegiance to the Islamic state, and this terrorist group later assumed responsibility for the incident. Still, the Islamic state found no previous link or training to Mateen.

On the contrary, the crime has always been classified as hatred since the vast majority of the victims belonged to the LGBTQI community.