They stopped a baseball game in Washington for shooting outside the stadium.


The detonations occurred in one of the exits of the Nationals Park stadium in the game between the Washington Nationals and the San Diego Padres.

A baseball game in the US capital was called off Saturday night after spectators heard gunshots outside the stadium.

Three people were injured in the gunshots outside the Nationals Park baseball stadium, packed with thousands of spectators. The shooting caused the game to come to an abrupt halt and fans to leave the venue.

Amid the confusion over the incident, an announcer said the game between the Washington Nationals and the San Diego Padres was halted due to an "incident" outside the stadium.

Upon hearing the police sirens, the crowd attending the game was told to leave the stadium. Through his account on Twitter, the police reported that "there was no longer any threat."

Two AFP reporters who were covering the game said they heard a dozen shots.

As soon as the explosion was heard, the players walked off the field, and the game was stopped in the sixth inning, with Pedres partially winning 8-4. The game must resume this Sunday.


Police initially said on Twitter that the gunshots hit four people. Still, Washington police second-on-board Ashan Benedict later indicated three wounded in the incident.

He said two of the injured were in two vehicles involved in the shooting. The third victim is a woman on the sidewalk outside the stadium where she watched the game.

"At no point during this incident were people inside the stadium watching the game in any danger. This is not an active shooter incident. Everything happened outside the stadium," Benedict told reporters.

He said the woman was expected to be OK.

AFP reporters at the game said some spectators heard gunshots and headed for the stadium. In contrast, others remained in their seats at the initial insistence of the announcer.

In-game videos uploaded to social media, several shots from automatic weapons could be heard.


The lights of several police cars lit up the street, and sirens sounded as crowds attending the Washington Nationals-San Diego Padres game were asked to leave the stadium in the Navy Yard neighborhood of southern Washington, DC.

Police said the incident "is being investigated" but that "it appears that there is no ongoing threat at this time."