Trump Proposes Charging Asylum Seekers A Fee - Is That Right?

Trump Proposes Charging Asylum Seekers A Fee - Is That Right?718
source: Wikimedia Commons

In an attempt to combat the surge of migrant families arriving at the southern border, President Trump is proposing imposing a fee to process the asylum seekers applications.

In a presidential memorandum signed Monday, Trump asked his attorney journal and acting homeland security secretary to act accordingly and take additional measures to tackle the U.S. asylum system, which is ''in crisis'', in President's words.

Furthermore, President Trump wants the government officials to propose new regulations within three months to guarantee that the asylum applications will be processed within 180 days of submitting, the memo reads.

Under the current regime, employment authorization and asylum application are free of charge. It became clear from the memo that Trump is planning to change it and start charging a fee. 

The memo points out that the fee should not exceed the actual cost of processing the documents. The White House and the Department of Homeland Security have not confirmed the exact amount the asylum seekers fleeing poverty would need to pay.

Commenting on the projected asylum fees, a spokesperson for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees, Charlie Yaxley, said that he had not received official information from Washington on the matter so far. Yaxley added that seeking asylum was a fundamental human right and people in need should be able to exercise it.

In addition to that, Trump proposes people who entered or tried to enter our country illegally not to eligible for a provisional work permit. In case of rejected asylum applications, the work authorizations should be revoked too, and the immigrants should be sent back to their place of origin, Trump says.

Trump also asked Homeland Security to make reorganizations and reassign officers and other related staff to strengthen the enforcement of the immigration laws.

The continually increasing number of South American immigrants trying to enter the U.S. has overwhelmed federal resources. According to the government, the arrests at the southern border reached a 12-year high in March, skyrocketing to 100,000 apprehensions of illegal immigrants.

Earlier in April, Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen resigned amid the migrant surge at the U.S. - Mexico border.

The changes proposed in the presidential memo Monday are the latest in a series of measures from the Oval Office to combat the increasing number of South American families trying to enter the country via the southern border. A vast majority of these people say they are fleeing poverty and violence back home and are seeking a decent life for their children in the U.S.

President Trump still cannot claim victory at the border which complicates his plans to run for re-election. 

Do you agree or disagree with Trump's proposal to charge asylum seekers fees?