Two girls have been arrested in connection with a hijacking case that killed the Navy Yard

The 13-year-old and 15-year-old have been charged with murder and theft of an armed vehicle.


The Metropolitan Police Department has charged both girls with murder and carjacking.

WASHINGTON - Police have arrested two teenage girls for their alleged atrocities on Monday in the Navy Yard community, according to a statement from the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD).

According to the department, the man died after a car overturned on 1200 Van Street, Southeast, near Nationals Park.

An initial MPD investigation found that a 13-year-old girl and a 15-year-old girl hit the truck driver with a Taser while hijacking the man, which resulted in an accident.

The victim was released by MPD on Wednesday as Mohammad Anwar of Springfield, Virginia.

Police said both teenagers were charged with murder and carjacking

In court on Wednesday, MPD detectives showed a video of one of the girls shouting "You have my phone!" as the driver of UBEREATS shouted "They're trying to take my car!"

A video in court also revealed that one of the girls got into the driver's seat of Anwar's car, while the other in the passenger seat was squeezing the car into gear as Honda sped away.

An MPD investigator said one girl admitted to going to the Navy Yard station with the intention of stealing a car. He blamed another girl for car crashes with gear, twisting the steering wheel, and crushing the death of UberEats driver Mohammad Anwar, according to an investigator.

Navy Yard resident Elliott Morris said he was walking down N Street, southeast, when he heard a car speeding towards him.

"I turned around [and] saw this car flying from Van to N, traveling at a speed of 50 to 60 kilometers an hour," he said.

Morris said the car ended up on two wheels when it tried to turn a corner, before colliding with two other vehicles on the N Street SE.

He said the driver then fell out of the car through the door on the driver's side.

"People from all over are a little nervous," he said.

At the same time, Morris said someone tried to get out of the car. He said members of the National Security Service, probably at the COVID checkpoint in Nats Park nearby, responded to the scene.

They helped the woman out and the nurses at the examination center went to the emergency room, ”said Morris.

No girls have been identified by the police as children.