Joe Biden said that the US would respond "with force" to the attack and did not rule out sending more forces to Afghanistan to complete the evacuation.
The US president assured that the United States would not be deterred from its mission to evacuate thousands of civilians from Afghanistan after the attacks that left at least 60 Afghans and 12 US service members dead.
US President Joe Biden vowed on Thursday to "go after" the perpetrators of the suicide bombings in Kabul, which killed 12 US servicemen amid the Afghanistan evacuation operation after the Taliban took over.
For those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wants to harm America, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget We will hunt them down and pay them. Biden said.
The United States will respond "with force and precision," he said, after the terrorist group ISIS-K claimed responsibility for the deadly attack.
In a solemn address to the nation from the White House, Biden called the downed US military "heroes" and said the Kabul evacuation mission would continue until next Tuesday when the final withdrawal of US military troops is expected.
"Terrorists will not deter us. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation", assured the Democratic president.
Biden also reconfirmed that he will not move that August 31 deadline to complete the exit from Afghanistan after two decades of war.
"Terrorists will not deter us. We will not allow them to stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation," Biden said in a televised speech.
There is still a "chance in the next few days, between now and 31, to be able to get them out," he said of US and Afghan citizens deemed vulnerable after the Taliban seized power on August 15.
"Knowing the threat, knowing that we may have another attack, the military has concluded that this is what we must do. I think they are right", he pointed out.
The Democrat denied indicating that the Taliban colluded with ISIS-K terrorists to carry out the deadly attack in Kabul.
"So far, there is no evidence that any commander on the ground has told me that there was a collusion between the Taliban and ISIS that took place today," Biden told a White House press conference.
Biden reconfirmed that he will meet the August 31 deadline for withdrawing US troops from Afghanistan, despite calls for him to stay longer if necessary to complete the evacuation.
There is still an "opportunity in the next few days, between now and 31, to be able to remove them," he said. Knowing that we may be attacked again, the military has concluded that this is what we should do. I think they are right, "he said.
Thursday's attacks will undoubtedly increase political pressure on Biden, who has previously been widely criticized for failing to initiate an evacuation. Last April, the president had announced that he would end the United States' participation in the war and withdraw all troops by September.
The Republican leader in the House of Representatives, Kevin McCarthy, called on the president of the chamber, Nancy Pelosi, to name a new session to debate an initiative that prohibits the American withdrawal until all citizens have been evacuated. That is unlikely, and Pelosi's office dismissed the proposal as an empty ploy. That is unlikely, and Pelosi's office dismissed the proposal as an empty ploy.
At the Pentagon, General McKenzie noted that the armed forces believe that the attacks that occurred on the airport perimeter were carried out by fighters affiliated with the Islamic State group in Afghanistan. He added that it was possible that there would be more attacks.
Following the suicide attack on the airport's Abbey Gate, several gunmen from the group, also known by the acronym ISIS, opened fire on civilians and the army. There was also an attack on the Hotel Baron, located a short distance from the airport.
The attacks will not cause the United States to conclude its operations earlier than scheduled, McKenzie stressed.
Let me be clear, as we mourn the loss of American and Afghan lives, we will continue this mission. He added that about 5,000 people were waiting for flights at the airport on Thursday. "Working with the Taliban has been useful and there is no suspicion of attacks on them," he said.